Friday, September 6, 2013

And a new school year begins

And a new school year begins.

I am not ever sure where to start a story. How far should I go back? You already know who we are and are fairly well aware of our character development over the last few years. So, I will begin with the latest episode in our lives together.

This week was my little Monkey's 2nd week of school. Her 2nd week of soccer practices. And her third week back home with her mom.

This week was my third week having my little Monkey home. And my umpteenth week/month/year of working. And as all work goes, these last few weeks have been extra full as there is a new rocket to launch. And a new spacecraft to orbit. And there will be 4 in the next 4 months.
 
Now, there is very little critical that I do either for the Monkey, the rocket, or the spacecraft. None of these efforts would come to a catastrophic failure if I didn't do my job. But, each one needs just enough of me to be successful. So, there has been little sleep and one crazy nightmare.
 
I dreamt my little monkey and I were walking along a wide open boulevard when to my right - a tall, light complexion, dark haired man - walked along side. As he walked past both of us we saw him pull a handgun from a messenger bag he had slung across his shoulder. He walked directly up to another man, who I can't picture, and shot him point blank in the chest. The man fell instantly, dead.

Everyone stopped. And the man began to run. As I watched him weave his way thru the crowd, I stared in shock as my mind raced and the adrenalin began to stream thru my blood. But my poor brain was stuck, as were my legs. The instinct was locked in an internal battle of "flight or fight". My child, my little monkey needed me. And I saw him, and I knew I could catch him, and then I knew I couldn't. 


Tonight I told my little monkey my dream. About how helpless I felt - how I could do nothing. And she replied, "Mamma, you were not doing nothing, you were doing something - you were protecting the one you love."

No comments:

Post a Comment